Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Curious Bestiary

A Curious Bestiary : Art by Kaitlin Beckett

I love looking at all the fabulous creatures Kaitlin has come up with. It is truly unique work and I am proud to have her in Karen White Gallery. Here is some more information about this talented Artist from her website.


Kaitlin’s art is a multi-layered process and incorporates the use of many media. After moving from New Zealand to Melbourne in 2002, she has had solo exhibitions in Melbourne, exhibited in Australia, New Zealand, the UK and America and her works have been collected throughout the world.
 
 Artist’s Statement:

“Since childhood I have had a love for the fantastic and the imaginary – I enjoy depicting the real and the unreal together, biomechanical juxtapositions, the unusual engaged with the everyday. The natural world, odd dreams, cryptozoology, literature and science fiction inspire me; and attachments, disguises, viscera and machinery are recurring themes in my bestiary. My characters invoke a sense of pathos, unease or humour, and I like to encourage others to invent their own narrative around my creatures.”

All creatures hand reared in Melbourne, Australia.


How do you create your work

Airbrushed acrylics and inks on canvas and paper, with chalk pastels worked in and layers of ink detail.

What inspires you to create?

Nature documentaries, sci fi movies, cryptozoology, mythology, crazy dreams.

What are your hopes for the future?

I'm looking forward to a solo in Melbourne later in the year, and expanding the beast army worldwide.

Name a few things that make you happy?

Splashing paint around, reading my art books, listening to music, looking at clouds. Who are some of your favourite Artists? Beksinski, HR Giger, MC Escher, Mucha, Beardsley, Frida Kahlo, Klimt, Bacon.

I always ask who peoples favourite music artists are as I like to stick a clip at the end.


This one's one of my all time favourites : Slint



No comments:

Post a Comment