Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sandi Harrold

 We have some wonderfull work in here by Brisbane Artist Sandi Harrold. There are  greeting cards, childrens books, paintings and even playing cards. Here is some information on Sandi taken from her website:


 
I was born and raised in the Queensland bush, and now live in Brisbane. I have three amazing children. I trained as a kindergarten Teacher and an ESL teacher, presently tutoring children with special needs. I have a garden filled with King Parrots and a dog called Jack, who is featured in some of my paintings.  I especially love giraffes, chooks and emus.

I have had some great successes this year including selling all six of my works on opening night at Rochester Annual 6x6 Exhibition in New York. 


Please get in touch if you would like to discuss buying works, collaborations, commissions, exhibitions, or to simply say hello. 

E-mail: slharrold@optusnet.com.au

How do you create your work.

My ideas pop into my head first thing each morning. I like painting, or drawing when I have all day – no distractions. Once almost finished I sit the painting where I can see it and make changes wherever necessary – or hose off the canvas if the painting isn’t amusing or the characters aren’t interacting as well as I’d like.


What inspires you to create?


My mind seems to want to make light of potentially tricky situations and I have always made up funny scenarios to help with various situations. I am an early childhood teacher and have three children of my own. When something amused or intrigued us I’d automatically concoct a story to share the funny moment. The only difference is now I ask the viewer to make up their own story to suit what they see in my paintings.


What are your hopes for the future?

I hope to hear good news from the publishers very soon about the five stories, I have written and illustrated with an aboriginal Elder. I hope to write and illustrate more children’s picture books. I sincerely hope my paintings continue to bring smiles to people who have a sense of humour and a desire to laugh.


Name a few things that make you happy?

My children.
Having King parrots fly into my family room and whistle to me from the top of a painting frame or back of a chair when I’m painting.
Watching a cranky serious face turn into a broad smile when they see my paintings!
Hearing from people who email me telling me my paintings cheer them on a daily basis. Some talk to them “morning chooks!” and “Bye pigs!” etc – gives me a laugh!


Who are some of your favourite Artists?


I don’t have any particular favourites. I love thought provoking paintings especially with children and animals with beautiful eyes.


I always ask who peoples favourite music artists are as I like to stick a clip at the end.


No music please with mine. I paint with only the sounds of king parrots whistling .





Famous Five





Handsome Is




Jack is Back




No Snoring Tonight Please 





Proud Parents





Was it Something I Said


 Yum!


Links:

http://sandiharrold.com.au/ 

Here is a picture of the lovely King Parrots that Sandi paints to the sound of.




No comments:

Post a Comment